~

"You shall love the LORD your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your might. These words, which I am commanding you today, shall be on your heart. You shall teach them diligently to your sons and shall talk of them when you sit in your house and when you walk by the way and when you lie down and when you rise up."

Deuteronomy 6:5-7

Wednesday, June 2, 2010

A Different Perspective


Today I was encouraged by a mother who approached me at swim lessons.  She started our conversation by asking if the three boys she saw were mine.  First I checked to see if they were behaving or not to determine my answer.  When I saw they were all perfectly content and in good form, I admitted to being their mother.  She went on to tell me that see too was a mother of three boys. To which I replied "then you know my pain". At which point we both chuckled.  What she said afterward encouraged my heart for the rest of this parenting journey.  She sighed and said "there's so much I miss about them being that little".  Her youngest was with her and as a mature teenager, it indeed had been a long time since he was little. In the busy-ness of these days, sometimes I forget to slow down and enjoy these precious, fleeting moments with them.  She went on to reaffirm what I've already learned about boys, they love their mamas with a special love and if you raise them right, they will forever.  We shared a bond with each other  as we talked about the difficulties in raising three boys.  She told me not to feel alone just because the day is hard.  We left the conversation with a ceremonial, "it's the best isn't it?"  As I watched her walk over to her almost grown son, I saw him hug her so tenderly and speak to her so softly and I thought to myself "someday, that will be me with my almost grown sons". Until then, I am going to enjoy these days with them before I find myself saying "I miss those days".



No comments:

Post a Comment