~

"You shall love the LORD your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your might. These words, which I am commanding you today, shall be on your heart. You shall teach them diligently to your sons and shall talk of them when you sit in your house and when you walk by the way and when you lie down and when you rise up."

Deuteronomy 6:5-7

Friday, February 18, 2011

Our visit to Germany...

Part two of my attempt to cook our way through geography seems to be successful. This time, we visited a country we hold very dear. A country we lived in for three years and where our first son was born...Germany. There are so many cuisines I remember from this place and it was difficult to choose just one. I ended up serving one of the most recognized German meals...bratwurst. I remember when we first moved there, it took us a while to recover from the jet lag and settle in. There was so much we had to do in order to setup our home. Once we got unpacked, we headed to Wurzburg to visit Ian's brother Philip and wife Leilani who were also stationed in Germany. We ate at a little resteraunt downtown. I was so excited to be there. So excited to get a real bratwurst! So that's what I ordered. When the plate came out, I realized my idea of the bratwurst was not authentic. My American version involved a grill and a bun. What I was served must have been boiled and alone on the plate. Confused, I asked for a bun and was served a roll. I stopped trying to get my version and embraced the real Germany. So this is what I served this week. The real Germany. Bratwurst with apples, onions and sauerkraut, WARM German potato salad, pumpernickel bread and a cucumber salad with dill yogurt.



Guten Appetit!

2 comments:

  1. Hi, I found your blog from a link you left on CC Connect. Thank you! I love the idea of cooking through the countries we are memorizing! I am going to do this as well, maybe one recipe a week.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Michele, yes, there are lots of great recipes out there to try. I was attempting to help my young boys make another connection with the locations they are memorizing. I hope this helps your students as well!

    ReplyDelete