~

"You shall love the LORD your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your might. These words, which I am commanding you today, shall be on your heart. You shall teach them diligently to your sons and shall talk of them when you sit in your house and when you walk by the way and when you lie down and when you rise up."

Deuteronomy 6:5-7

Saturday, January 28, 2012

My New Name

It feels like spring here in Houston. God has been kind to give us perfectly gorgeous weather. So a few weekends ago I wondered what may happen if I threw some seeds in the garden. But I knew that first, I would have a lot of prep work to get it ready.

Around July last year, I had to let the garden go. We had one of the worst droughts in years last summer. I couldn’t keep up with the demand for water and, my growing baby belly made it difficult to weed. In order to start a new crop, I would have to rip everything out, weed, add compost and so on. And while I was out there digging and ripping and adding, I found something.

This is not the first time I’ve found something surprising in the garden. And last year, it was my basil that spontaneously seeded itself that was most fruitful. For these reasons, I am now calling myself “The Accidental Gardner”. In fact I should practically write a book about how to successfully not-plan a fruitful garden!

In fact the whole thing reminds me of my continuing life lesson that God is always trying to teach me. That is, that I am not in control, no matter how much I think I am. And a good thing that I am not, knowing how selfish, unkind and sinful I am. How sweet it is to remember that God who is perfect, just, good and loving is working ALL things for good. What’s more, just like the seeds I plant, thinking I’ve done this great work, sometimes amount to nothing. God redeems them and makes them bountiful. He is the giver of good gifts, our talents and good deeds.

Back to my story, I was about to pull up what I thought was a weed until I remembered that in that spot, I sowed lettuce seeds last year. Not realizing it was too late in our season for lettuce, I never got any. So surprisingly, I accidentally have lettuce growing in my garden!

IMG_3525

Now let’s see if the seeds I planted intentionally grow Smile

No comments:

Post a Comment